Ask Your Agent: Uninsured Motorist Coverage

Patrick Atwater III answers a common insurance-related question.

If you find yourself reading over your insurance policy and stumbling over the meaning of words or just find it completely confusing, you aren’t alone. Someone asked, “If I were involved and severely injured in a hit-and-run, who would cover the costs if they never found the guy that was responsible?” In this situation, Uninsured Motorist Coverage would kick in.

Uninsured Motorist Coverage (UM coverage) applies when you are injured due to an “uninsured motorist.”

There are two ways in which a driver is classified as an UM:
  1. The first way is obvious – when a driver does not carry liability coverage.
  2. The second way is if the driver who causes the accident is never found. Although hit-and-runs are disgraceful, they do happen.

In both of these situations, the injured party hopefully has UM coverage to help insure against damages caused by a bad driver.

Do you have UM Coverage?

In Georgia, “full coverage” does not include Uninsured Motorist Coverage. Many people choose to save themselves money and it is only after they are seriously injured, they realize they aren’t as fully covered as they thought. Review your policy and make sure you have UM coverage. You never know who is riding beside you… Be sure you are protected from other drivers on the road who may not have the right coverage when it comes to accidents.

If have questions on whether or not you are covered, give our agents at Atwater a call. Atwater Insurance Agency is located in both Tifton, Georgia and Fitzgerald, Georgia. We offer coverage for your home, automobile, business, or farm. Call our office to talk more about the various providers we offer for our customers. Let us find the right protection for the risks you face. Our number is (229) 382-9000

All policies are subject to different forms, exclusions and endorsements. Be sure to contact your agent for final confirmation of coverage and underwriting policies.