Whether the livestock on your property are more of a hobby or if the animals are your livelihood, it is best to protect them to avoid financial loss. Livestock insurance covers animals both large and small. Livestock insurance usually is able to cover livestock and poultry as a whole, and you can get specific coverage for other groups of animals like cattle, pigs, hogs, and chickens. You’ll want to make sure you have a policy that matches the amount of livestock you have on your farm. For example, if you have an entire herd of cattle, an individual coverage plan for each cow or steer isn’t going to cut it.
You can get livestock insurance in a variety of different forms, but most of our farmers start with an animal mortality plan to cover their farms in the event they have unexpected deaths that can impact their revenue.
This coverage can come in three types:
- Individual: Individual coverage is the right choice for you if you have high-value animals you wish to cover up to a specified dollar amount. These animals can be identified in whatever manner you use on your farm or ranch – like an ear tag, name, or unique description. An example would be an expensive horse you bought for your daughter’s barrel racing hobby.
- Blanket: A blanket policy covers all of your farm property in one lump sum amount. This is a single policy which protects everything, including your livestock, equipment, and structures.
- Herd: Herd coverage is the most common way to insure your livestock as a specific number of animals, such as 300 head of cattle.
Livestock insurance covers loss from:
- Accidental shootings
- Attack by dogs or other wild animals
- Lightening and other natural disasters
If you have animals on your farm, you know the stress of worrying something will happen to them or they’ll get out. You know how important they are to your farm’s livelihood and your success. Don’t let them go without the proper protection they need. Call Atwater Insurance today to talk to one of our agents about a livestock mortality policy. Our number is (229) 382-9000. Atwater Insurance Agency is located in both Tifton, Georgia and Fitzgerald, Georgia. We offer coverage for your home, automobile, business, or farm. Let us find the right protection for the risks you face.
All policies are subject to different forms, exclusions and endorsements. Be sure to contact your agent for final confirmation of coverage and underwriting policies.