According to the U.S. Department of Justice statistics, a home in the U.S. is broken into about every 15 seconds. While no one expects to come home to the results of a robbery, it happens. And with the holidays just around the corner, it is important to note that theft and break-ins rise during this season.
Take a look at these helpful home theft prevention tips you can use to make your home less appealing to burglars!
- Prevent Entry: Keep garage doors closed and locked and lock exterior doors. If you have a home entry device, change the access code periodically to prevent wear on the keypad.
- Block Prying Eyes: When you’re not at home, close curtains/blinds to prevent thieves from taking inventory of your home and seeing the layout
- Protect Documents: Keep personal information such as passports in a fire-proof safe and store lock boxes or safes in a hidden area of the house.
- Don’t Over-Share: Don’t talk about vacation plans on social media; share pictures after you have returned home.
- Keep Records: Store model numbers of electronics and equipment – and be sure to take pictures or videos of your valuables.
- Practice Digital Safety: Back up computers and other devices in the event that they are stolen; if using external hard drives, store in your lockbox.
- Don’t Entice: During Christmas, do not leave gifts in front of any window.
In the unfortunate event home theft does occur, you will need reliable home insurance coverage. Does your current home insurance policy measure up? If you aren’t sure, contact Atwater Insurance Agency today! Atwater Insurance Agency is located in Tifton, Georgia and Ashburn, Georgia. We offer coverage for your home, automobile, business, or farm. Let us find the right protection for the risks you face.
All policies are subject to different forms, exclusions and endorsements. Be sure to contact your agent for final confirmation of coverage and underwriting policies.