Ask Your Agent: Holiday Party Protection

Brian Atwater answers a common insurance-related question.

If I host a holiday party and a guest is injured on my property, will my homeowners insurance policy cover their medical bills?

First things first, if someone gets hurt while on your property, you could be held responsible for damages. Your homeowners insurance personal liability is there to protect you from accidents you are liable for that occur inside or outside your home and result in bodily injury or property damage. This can be a financial lifesaver as medical costs can quickly add up!

So, you could be responsible for your uncle having a little too much eggnog and tripping on the carpet, and you could also be responsible if a delivery man slips on the walkway up to your doorstep. A lot can go wrong during the holiday season, especially with holiday parties and cold winter weather. You could be held liable for any and all injuries that occur on your property.

Here are a few quick tips to prevent injury at your holiday party:
  • Take note of any dangerous or hazardous areas of your home, including loose floorboards or carpets.
  • Watch your guests’ intake of alcohol. If someone has had too much to drink, offer the person a place to stay, water and something to eat.
  • Be proactive about maintaining your home to help reduce potential risks.

It is important to note each homeowner’s policy has its own specific list of exclusions, so read over your policy in its entirety to find what yours are. If you still aren’t sure what is included, give us a quick call! We are glad to help – our number is 229.382.900.

Atwater Insurance Agency is located in Tifton, Georgia and now in Ashburn, Georgia. We offer coverage for your home, automobile, business, or farm. Let us find the right protection for the risks you face.

All policies are subject to different forms, exclusions and endorsements. Be sure to contact your agent for final confirmation of coverage and underwriting policies.

Source: Property Casualty360